Australia FIFA World Cup Blog

Australia has finally qualified for the World Cup after 32 long and agonising years! We are off to Germany, and I cannot believe it. I am a fan of all Australian sport and write for the Victorian Amateur Football Association, and the President of one of Australia's largest cricket clubs, and had my best man at my wedding play for the Socceroos. And now I am off to Germany for the trip of a lifetime. This is my story.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Guus to Russia?


Driving in this morning I heard a report on SEN that it had been confirmed that Guus is off to Russia as their Technical Director after the World Cup.

Now there are a couple of issues this raises. Firstly, is the report in fact true? Well I find it hard to believe given that Guus' agent has been saying for quite a while now that he would not make any decisions that would harm Australia's World Cup campaign. While our boys are professional and would not let something like this affect their performance, I do no believe it would be in the team's best interests to upset the apple cart, 99 days (that's right, 99 days to go!!!) out from the biggest event in their lives.

Guus would also be of this opinion I would hope.

Secondly, it raises the question that if the report is in fact true, is this decision to be up front with them and forthright by announcing at this time the right thing to do with regards to our preparations? Personally, I believe that by being honest it will eliminate a lot of the speculation that has surrounded him and allow him and the team to get on with business. If he were to hold on throughout the World Cup, the attention would be on him and his decisions, rather than the teams progress, and this can only be detrimental to our chances. One only has to look at the England debacle with Sven to realise it is best to kill this speculation off well before the Cup.

I have no doubt that whatever decision Guus makes, he will ensure that his replacement is more than up to the task to take us into the Asia Cup and to the 2010 World Cup in and ensure we are good hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home