Australia FIFA World Cup Blog

Australia has finally qualified for the World Cup after 32 long and agonising years! We are off to Germany, and I cannot believe it. I am a fan of all Australian sport and write for the Victorian Amateur Football Association, and the President of one of Australia's largest cricket clubs, and had my best man at my wedding play for the Socceroos. And now I am off to Germany for the trip of a lifetime. This is my story.

Friday, February 17, 2006

New Australian Strips


Well the new strips have been released by Nike, and while no one would argue about the scientific merit of a fibre that makes you sweat less, the actual design and rationale behind it really makes you wonder.

It apparently is a tribute to our 1974 side, which once again one can understand the rationale, but could we have not put some more thought into it? This is our chance to shine on the world stage, and I would have thought that a little more imagination could be used in the design.

A more fitting tribute would have been to wear the white socks that the 1974 team adorned, as these were unique and made the team stand out from the crowd. Instead we have a strip that lacks imagination, color and flair.

I can only hope our boys play a lot better than the strip they are wearing.

Regarding myself purchasing one, well I am now not sure. I did have a preorder put in with FFA, however, having forked out $120 for the previous strip, which I wore religiously during the Ashes last year, I am not sure a further $120 would be well spent? I think I may have a look at the blue away strip, as I will need something to wear at our "away" matches, however, the other $120 would be better put on the bar in Munich!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home