Australia FIFA World Cup Blog

Australia has finally qualified for the World Cup after 32 long and agonising years! We are off to Germany, and I cannot believe it. I am a fan of all Australian sport and write for the Victorian Amateur Football Association, and the President of one of Australia's largest cricket clubs, and had my best man at my wedding play for the Socceroos. And now I am off to Germany for the trip of a lifetime. This is my story.

Friday, February 10, 2006

Melbourne to Host FIFA World Cup

I read an article in the Herald Sun yesterday about how Melbourne's new Major Attractions CEO is putting forward the fact that Melbourne could host a World Cup in the future.

My opinion is, that Australia would be a great nation to have a World Cup in, however, there would need to be a major changing of the mindsets of the powerbrokers at FIFA for this to ever occur.

For one, who could forget them taking away Oceania's direct qualification? They have also made it as difficult as possible in the past due to our fragmented and ethnic based administration of the game here in Australia. However, times are changing. We are part of Asia now, have qualified for Germany and have a new A-League and administration that is functional and going places. It all points to the possibilities becoming greater.

However, there is still much work to be done, and this begins on the field. We will have to play well in the Asian Cup to begin with, and of course, when all the world is watching, perform well in Germany.

I will be there cheering the lads on to hopefully bigger and better things for all football followers in Australia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home