Australia FIFA World Cup Blog

Australia has finally qualified for the World Cup after 32 long and agonising years! We are off to Germany, and I cannot believe it. I am a fan of all Australian sport and write for the Victorian Amateur Football Association, and the President of one of Australia's largest cricket clubs, and had my best man at my wedding play for the Socceroos. And now I am off to Germany for the trip of a lifetime. This is my story.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Viduka or Aloisi

An interesting article appeared in the Herald Sun this morning talking about the form of the abovementioned players, and which way Aussie-Guus will go should this trend continue.

What caught my attention is the fact that Viduka is now struggling at club level, however, he has rarely performed for Australia unless it was against some backwater minnow when the match mattered little to anyone. On the big stage, he has failed often, this was highlighted no more so than the pressure of the penalty shoot out and his feeble attempt nearly costing us again.

I know that is a little harsh, as he did play reasonably well in the two Uruguay matches, but the fact remains that overall he has been mediocre at best for his country. I will not forget going to the MCG for the Olympics, and he was nothing short of embarrassing. I would have thought 100,000 fans cheering you on at the Olympics would be enough to get the best out of anyone. But not our Mark, so how would he go on the biggest stage of all.

Aloisi has now proven himself to all football fans, and in my honest opinion, would serve his country much better come the pressure cooker environment of Germany. I hope 'dukes proves me wrong, but at this stage, my money is on Aloisi.

4 Comments:

At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little harsh gavone. Dukes played an integeral role by drawing 2 defenders most of the matches. This showed the respect that Uruguay payed to him.

Good site.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Gavone said...

Hi mate,

I am certainly not oblivious to the role the big man plays, and he certainly can provide a handful for opposition defenders.

However, in the many big games previously, he has not really performed when the pressure is on. I judge this in relation to how we all know he can play, and does play for his club as opposed to the National side.

I am sure come June he will be giving 100%, however, the jury is still out as to whether he can live up to his potential in the Green and Gold.

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand your points gavone, and agree with you to a point about his goal scoring form for the Green and Gold. He will however be hard to leave out of the starting line up.

Cheers

Tezza (not anonymous)

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Gavone said...

Agree Tezza, very hard to replace given his history, but it there is one thing Guus has brought to our side is a lack of Australian "baggage". He will call it as he sees it, and ultimately, if Dukes form does not warrant it, he may miss out.

Time will tell, but my gut feel is he will be part of the side. He is a match winner, and you don't want match winners on the bench!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home