Australia FIFA World Cup Blog

Australia has finally qualified for the World Cup after 32 long and agonising years! We are off to Germany, and I cannot believe it. I am a fan of all Australian sport and write for the Victorian Amateur Football Association, and the President of one of Australia's largest cricket clubs, and had my best man at my wedding play for the Socceroos. And now I am off to Germany for the trip of a lifetime. This is my story.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

And Now For The Big Dance


With just over a day or so to go before we head off on the trip of a lifetime, the excitement is really starting to set in.

I got up this morning to watch the game against Lichenstein, and would have to say that I would have rather stayed in bed. The Aussies were well done on their game, however, I am not too concerned about this given it was a nothing match and most would have just be happy to have come through unscathed.

What was of concern was the fact that our defence still looks very vunerable. Time will tell, however, if we are to go out in the early stages of the tournament, I think it will be due to an error in the back line. Let's all hope one of the players does not become a household name due to a blunder.

A huge positive out of the match was the performance of Josh Kennedy. He is a towering figure and very impressive. I think he may have something to say if and when he gets brought on due to that height and goal sense. Also great to see was Harry Kewell and Tim Cahill get through a good hitout. A full strength side is a must if we are to progress, as our second string players look ordinary at best (eg Lazaridis!!)

On a personal note, the bags are starting to get packed. Plenty of green and gold in there. Aussie stickers all over the suitcases and we have even bought temporary tattoos to put on. It is going to be a blast. Keep watching this site over the next two weeks for photos, and if time some descriptions of what we (ie myself and my wife Rebecca) have been up to. We might try and post some images even from Hong Kong at our stopover if we can find somewhere to load them up.

2 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger Gavone said...

Hey mate,

Well we will be there at all three Aussie games. We will be in the main Aussie supporters section, and I will be sticking with the group after the game. We will stand out I would think as we are on the biggest and the official tour group.

Hope to see you there!

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You lucky bast....d

 

Post a Comment

<< Home