Australia FIFA World Cup Blog

Australia has finally qualified for the World Cup after 32 long and agonising years! We are off to Germany, and I cannot believe it. I am a fan of all Australian sport and write for the Victorian Amateur Football Association, and the President of one of Australia's largest cricket clubs, and had my best man at my wedding play for the Socceroos. And now I am off to Germany for the trip of a lifetime. This is my story.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Big Day at the G


Well it was a huge day for me last Thursday. Due to work and drinking committments, I have not been able to talk about it on my Blog until now.

I had a massive day at a lunch at the Hyatt, which was coincidently where the players were staying during their time in Melbourne. I actually bumped into both Zeljko Kelic before the match and had a quick chat about the game. Needless to say he had little time to converse with a half drunken guy in a suit, so he politely told me he was looking forward to it.

Anyway, a few more beers with mates at the pub after lunch and we were off to the G. The match was a pretty lack-lustre affair, however, seeing everyone in the green and gold really gave me an idea as to what it may be like in Germany. While the actual atmosphere was non-existant, this will be multiplied 1000 fold when we take the field against Japan.

During the weekend I also made some apparel purchases. I got the new strip and a t-shirt to go with my scarf, beanie and other Aussie tops. Will need ot purchase some flags prior to our departure though. I also am now wearing green and gold wristbands courtesy of Rebel Sports. I have promised not to take them off until the Aussies are eliminated (or win) the Cup.

Just one comment on the game as most would have read plenty about it by now, was that I was impressed with one of my old school mates come good. Joey Skoos's goal was brilliant, and while I did not know him directly, he did attend Chanel College while I was at the school. Actually, the school will have two reps at the World Cup with Joey Didiluca also attending there and he may line up for Croatia.

3 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger Gavone said...

Hi mate,

The itinerary for our tour is in one of the articles below. I guess I will be spending my time with the group and will certainly be frequenting the bars where the group congregates. Look me up though, as I would certainly love to have a beer with one of the locals!!

Prost!!

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Gavone said...

Sorry mate, will not have a mobile over there, but if you drop us a line via this website, I am happy to let you know where we will be hanging out in Stuttgart.

All the best,

Gav

 
At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home