Australia FIFA World Cup Blog

Australia has finally qualified for the World Cup after 32 long and agonising years! We are off to Germany, and I cannot believe it. I am a fan of all Australian sport and write for the Victorian Amateur Football Association, and the President of one of Australia's largest cricket clubs, and had my best man at my wedding play for the Socceroos. And now I am off to Germany for the trip of a lifetime. This is my story.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

World Cup Squad Named


Well as if you would not have heard by now, but the squad for the World Cup was named yesterday morning, and football is again on the back page of the Herald-Sun. You have to love it!

Anyway, the squad is

Goalkeepers: Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough), Zeljko Kalac (AC Milan), Ante Covic (Hammarby)
Defenders: Michael Beauchamp (Central Coast), Craig Moore (Newcastle United), Lucas Neill (Blackburn Rovers), Tony Popovic Crystal Palace), Mark Milligan (Sydney FC)
Midfielders: Marco Bresciano (Parma), Tim Cahill (Everton), Scott Chipperfield (Basel), Jason Culina (PSV Eindhoven), Brett Emerton (Blackburn Rovers), Vince Grella (Parma), Stan Lazaridis (free agent), Josip Skoko (Stoke City on loan from Wigan Athletic), Mile Sterjovski (Basel), Luke Wilkshire (Bristol City)
Strikers: John Aloisi (Alaves), Harry Kewell (Liverpool), Archie Thompson (PSV Eindhoven), Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough), Josh Kennedy (Dinamo Dresden)

With very few surprises in the squad, I think the most comforting thing is that the major contributors to the team are all playing regular first team football, all are in relatively good form and fitness (Tim Cahill excluded) and we have a better chance to progress than what I think we would have with previous squads had we actually qualified.

For me though, I think our success will hinge on the performance of Mark Viduka. He is the litmus for us. If he plays well, we will succeed, but if he has a shocker (I still cannot put the 2000 Olympics out of my head), then we will struggle.

29 days to go, and I am getting really excited. Picking up the airline tickets today which is very exciting.

On the Bernie front, he had to cop a $1,800 penalty to cancel the previous tour he was on to take up the FFA offer mentioned in a previous article. As I said to him, tickets to the Brazil game are going for as much, so really the decision is a no-brainer. I think he has moved on now and happy to have tickets.

Now we just have to wait and hope for cousin Frank. I am confident he will get inside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home