Australia FIFA World Cup Blog

Australia has finally qualified for the World Cup after 32 long and agonising years! We are off to Germany, and I cannot believe it. I am a fan of all Australian sport and write for the Victorian Amateur Football Association, and the President of one of Australia's largest cricket clubs, and had my best man at my wedding play for the Socceroos. And now I am off to Germany for the trip of a lifetime. This is my story.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Wayne Rooney Gone

I tried hard to hide the smirk on my face today when I heard that Wayne Rooney is going to miss the entire World Cup with that foot injury.

Now I am not the one to take enjoyment at the misfortune of others, but given the pasting my English friends have given me since their Ashes win last year, the fact that we are now a realistic chance to progress further than them in a game they hold so dear is music to my ears.

We have all had a soft spot for the Poms in previous campaigns, however, this time it is different. We are in it, and are a realistic chance to progress to the second round. The English are now in disarray.

To be honest, I am sure they will regroup and should get through, but can you imagine the laughter we will be having at our British friend's expense if they do in fact get knocked out in the group stages.

It will be a classic, and will make regaining the Ashes this summer, all the sweeter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home